ATI Catalyst 6.1

Talk friendly or else...
slinky
UT nerd

ATI Catalyst 6.1

Post by slinky »

Anybody using them? I am getting the weirdest movements in game with them, feels like I am moving on Jello. Literally gliding sideways at times when moving almost feeling as if someone else was forcing my mouse the other way around. Not lag, just something even stranger. Only change I made to my system was the 6.1 upgrade. Yuck.

Post by Guest »

i use 4.12
but it's cause i have a 9800 pro
s!n7
Camper

Post by s!n7 »

I use the Omega drivers found at http://www.omegadrivers.net/ati/win2k_xp.php . I found omega to be slightly better than catalyst. So I have been using them for a long time. I just went to the website and they have an update, I'm going to try it and will see what happens.

Edit:No problems found by updating. Performance is about the same. I get 75-85 fps on face with five people waiting to be fragged.
Last edited by s!n7 on Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
100hogs
Extra Sexy Admin

Post by 100hogs »

The day when I switched to nVidia was happiest day for my computer. :) I was so tired of all those bugs that come with Catalyst. Drivers for All-In-Wonder, Multimedia Center and other modules were nightmare to upgrade. Sometimes they could not install at all. Friend of mine worked at InstallShield that was making installation scripts for ATI. Even he could not figure out why those glitches happen in ATI installation scripts.
As for jelly moves. Just wild guess. Did you try to turn on/off VSync?
s!n7
Camper

Post by s!n7 »

Everything is fine. The difference between catalyst 5.11 and 5.12 was quite drastic, I can only imagine the difference between 4.12 and 6.10.

Post by Guest »

i read that 4.12s are the best drivers for old ati video cards. I was using one of the recent drivers, and when I played civilization IV and a few other games i always got some slowdown. When i switched to the 4.12, everything went back to being smooth.
slinky
UT nerd

Post by slinky »

Looks like my problem was that I was using another shortcut I had made to launch UT. That was an old shortcut that allowed me to run it in high priority. I guess that the problem was that doing so, somehow caused the keyboard interface not to be as responsive as usual, something like a keyboard hook in the background that was affected by the unbalance in priority. It almost felt the same as when I used to play really drunk. ;)

When I went back to my regular / normal priority shortcut everything went back to normal. Did not notice I had copied the wrong shortcut back to the desktop.

Now, enough ATI bashing!
breeze
Slick Pothead

Post by breeze »

Maybe if you guys try the new Nvidia 89.98 drivers.

...it may run the Ati cards better. :roll:
Dragon
Chaser

Post by Dragon »

I find that the 82.12 Nvidia beta drivers are best since 78.05. Better image quality and FPS (~10FPS increase for some).

Download here: http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_downl ... river.html

Reviews here: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=164006