Topic: Some very weird UT99 behavior on newer laptop PC

Talk friendly or else...
MasterOfReality
Double Jumping Noobie

Topic: Some very weird UT99 behavior on newer laptop PC

Post by MasterOfReality »

Hi guys, long time no see :) Are you guys still playing UT99? I'm having a problem with a game on my new laptop, here it is:

I got recently my new Dell Inspiron E1705 laptop. It's Intel Centrino core duo CPU with 256MB Geforce 7900 GS video card. I installed my UT GOTY on it and then applied patches 436,440 and 451. The way the game runs now is really-really wierd: it runs super fast when playing locally, it's not just fast fps but it's very fast game action like the game speed is set to 500% or something. On the other hand when I try to play online (I play IG-LG 155/55) it's normal game speed but very low framerate: about 10-20 fps. I tried to uninstall-install it again but with no success. I tried it with 3D, OpenGL and software rendering - it acts the same way with any renderer. I have latest Nvidia video card driver installed. The game runs just fine on my 4 year old desktop with 64MB Ti4200 card, but it freaks out on this hi-end laptop. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Last edited by MasterOfReality on Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
100hogs
Extra Sexy Admin

Post by 100hogs »

Wow! MoR himself! :) How have you been dude? Few of us are playing ut99. Not me though. Practically entire MuTT team are still playing 99 but mostly regg. There're occasional gatherings of LowG community on Oddie's server.
As for the problem you described, it's a common thing when you play ut99 locally on new computers. You can try to solve it by turning on vsync and reducing netspeed. Long time ago I saw discussion on this matter on unrealadmin.org.
Are you going to install 2k4? ;)
MasterOfReality
Double Jumping Noobie

Hey man, nice to see you. I just got back from Russia, spent there few months :) I was surprised that I could play UT99 on US servers from there :) I left my old PC back there and ordered myself new laptop from Dell, but as you can see newer doesn't mean better in the world of UT99 :) If you remember I never really liked UT2004, still prefer UT99.
odd1in
Spawnkiller

Post by odd1in »

Mr MoR,

That comp has a dual core, you need to set the affinity to a single core...
I have a dual core comp and I have to set the affinity on almost all games, cept for F.E.A.R., good luck and nice to see you

Oddie :alcoholics:
MasterOfReality
Double Jumping Noobie

odd1in wrote:Mr MoR,

That comp has a dual core, you need to set the affinity to a single core...
I have a dual core comp and I have to set the affinity on almost all games, cept for F.E.A.R., good luck and nice to see you

Oddie :alcoholics:
I already tried to do it with ProcessWatchV2 utility, I installed the utility but it doesn't run - gives me some system error. Any other utilities you know I can use to set affinity?
MasterOfReality
Double Jumping Noobie

Ok, I set process affinity with ProcessExplorer utility and it runs fine now, thanks! I'm getting about 300fps with OpeGL :) The problem is that I have to set affinity every time I play UT99, I'd like to find some utility that sets it automatically on startup.
MasterOfReality
Double Jumping Noobie

Ok, latest update on the issue: I've fixed it with Microsoft HotFix: http://exphose.com/upfiles/1/WindowsXP- ... 86-ENU.exe. So now I don't have to set affinity manually every time I run the game. See complete description on how to fix this problem here: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=983781
Menace
Broadband fragger

Post by Menace »

It looks like you didnt needed our help, well somebodys help at all. You fixed it yourself congrats.

You dont know me but i know you. Dont worry not in real life just in ut99. :mrgreen:
odd1in
Spawnkiller

Post by odd1in »

Way to go MoR and thanks for the link, I can sure use the utility myself